Well the weekend is her already…and I wanted to give a special mention to
“WOMEN’S ART NOW” opening Saturday at Leslie Sacks Fine Art in Brentwood..(there are two locations)….see Saturday’s listings.
Pick of the Week is the 22nd Annual International Los Angeles Photographic Art Exposition taking place at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium January 17th-21st, 2013.
It kicks off with a preview gala opening on January 16th…See info under Thursday events. You must buy tickets for the gala as well as the show….so be sure to see their site for all the details.
CONGRATS to the LUCKY Winners who won tix through our raffle on LA ART Party this week. See below press release provided by photo l.a.
See image: Smith Andersen North
Artist- Leon Borensztein
Title- Woman in Polk Dress
Digital Inkjet Print
Continuing the discourse on photography’s place in the finearts, photo l.a. provides dealers from around the globe a platform for the exhibition of vintage masterworks, contemporary photography, as well as video and multimedia installations.
This exciting juxtaposition creates the character that is photol.a. Over the last two decades, photo l.a. has exhibited more than 300 galleries, private dealers and publishers as well as presented more than 200 lectures and collecting seminars to the public. The continued effort to create a dynamic experience for photo l.a. patrons has not only increased a very loyal fan base, but has attracted over 11,000 interested collectors, curators and dealers of photography annually.
In addition to the continuation of the lectures, panels, book signings, and special installations, photo l.a. is pleased to introduce photoBOOK LA a forum with guest reviewers offering feedback to photographers on their book proposals. photo l.a.
See image: Bekris Gallery
Artist- Frank Marshall
Title- Bound By The Moon
27.5 in x 27.5 in.
2013’s speakers, panels, roundtables, book signings and installations include:
SPEAKERS, PANELS & ROUNDTABLES • Mapplethorpe at LACMA and the Getty – Los Angeles County Museum of Art curator Britt Salvesen (Robert Mapplethorpe: XYZ) and Curator of Photographs at the Getty Reseach instate, Francis Terpak (In Focus: Robert Mapplethorpe), wukk discuss the simultaneous exhibitions of the artist’s work. • Matthew Thompson, curator and author of “The Anxiety of Photography,” will lead a round table discussion with a mix of younger Los Angeles artists including Andrea Longacre-°©‐White, Anthony Pearson and David Benjamin Sherry, who hybridize photography with some other practice to explore its materiality.
• POINT OF VIEW: selections from Los Angeles collectors will be on view. A round table discussion with some of the collectors will elaborate on their collecting motivations
• Bill Eppridge, noted photojournalist, lectures on his experiences documenting the 1960s, specifically, Robert F. Kennedy’s final campaign.
• Meg Partridge. Filmmaker, wil lspeak about her father, Rondal Partridge, and his photographic work. The son of Imogen Cunningham, his mentors and colleagues included Ansel Adams, Dorothea Lange and Edward Weston
• Artillery magazine hosts one of its infamous Face Off Debates.
• New Sales Platforms roundtable with Heritage Auctions, 1stdibs and artnet.
• Private docent tours of the fair with experts in the field of photography history, the market and museum exhibitions.
• Josephine Sacabo, will discuss her trajectory from a documentary street photographer to her current work using the etched photogravure as her exclusive form of print making.
See image: Monroe Gallery of Photography
Artist- Bill Eppridge
Title- The Beatles Arrive, New York
Gelatin Silver Print
Launch of photoBOOK LA
As photography publications, and artist produced books have become increasingly more important photo l.a. us delighted to announce photoBOOK LA as a new platform for publishers and book artists at photo l.a. 2013
What: photo l.a.
Where: Santa Monica Civic Auditorium 1855 Main Street Santa Monica, CA 90401
When:JANUARY 17 – 21, 2013
Website: http://www.photola.com/ www.santamonicacivic.org