The Davyd Whaley Foundation celebrates their 2017-2019 grant recipients with an art exhibition at Castelli Art Space. Since its inception, the three-year old organization has awarded over $42,000 to seven artists in Southern California. Established by television director Norman Buckley in honor of his late husband, Los Angeles painter Davyd Whaley (1967-2014), the grants are given to local artists who emulate Davyd’s generosity and passion for sharing art, and have dedicated their careers to their craft. Davyd was a largely self-taught painter who was personally committed to other artists and volunteered his time with cultural organizations focused on children and underserved communities.
Ryan Jeffery, Street View, Clayton / Talmadge 2017, series of 10 digital prints, 11 x 17 each one
To continue Davyd’s lifelong mission, the foundation offers a variety of grants to assist artists in the fulfillment of their vision. Recipients include:
- Susanna Battin — Emerging Artist Grant, 2019
- Andrea Bersaglieri — Artist Teacher Grant, 2019
- Ryan Jeffery — Residency for Artist Teacher, 2019
- Lorenzo Hurtado Segovia — Residency for an Emerging Artist, 2019
- Phung Huynh — Mid-Career Artist Grant, 2018
- Margaret Griffith — Mid-Career Artist Grant, 2017
- Laura Krifka — Artist Teacher Grant, 2017
Free Art Exhibit
Titled “Three Years, The Davyd Whaley Foundation” the showcase exhibit, curated by Nick Brown, is taking place at Castelli Art Space. Proceeds benefit LA-area artists. Gallery hours on June 9: 12-5pm.
What: Art Party
Where: Castelli Art Space, 5428 Washington Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90016
When: June 8, 2019; 5:00 – 8:00pm